CONSTRUCTION  
Training required ranges for all weapons that would be used by Assault Sections to ensure accuracy and repeated exercises in the new tactics so construction had to be done quickly as the first unit would arrive for training on 1st September 1943.

398th Engineer General Service Regiment had recently arrived in England and was tasked with building replica pillboxes for training, nissen huts for accommodation and access roads. The Centre then letter coded individual areas, assigned colour codes to the beaches, designated roads and junctions and numbered the training ranges.

Once basic construction was completed the 146th Engineer Combat Battalion took over maintenance of these constructions and quickly found rebuilding pillboxes took too long, substituting solid concrete squares of pillbox dimensions that were easily repaired.